As of Fall – 2016 the latest version of Lync is Skype for Business.
What operating systems are supported?
- Windows: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
- Mac: Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later
How do I obtain the Microsoft Lync client?
Microsoft Lync is included on all Northeastern configured PCs. Northeastern configured Macs can install it through Self-Service.
Faculty and staff with machines not managed by Northeastern may download Lync on the myNortheastern portal under Software Downloads.
What username and password do I use to log in?
- On a Northeastern-managed PC with Office 2010: Sign in with your email as your sign-in address.
- On a Northeastern-managed Mac with Office 2011: Sign in with your email, and your myNortheastern username (at User ID field as nunet\myNortheastern username) and password.
How do I disable Microsoft Lync from starting automatically when I log in to Windows?
- Tools->Options (click on the gear in the upper right corner, select Tools, then Options)
- Select Personal
- De-Select Automatically start Lync when I log on to Windows
Are there any limitations to the number of contacts or groups I may add to my contact list?
Groups are limited to 30 and contacts are limited to 250.
What are activity feeds?
Lync’s Activity Feed displays your contacts, their current status (“Heading to a meeting”) messages and their availability.
How long will my instant message conversations be saved to my email?
Instant messages are not saved by default. If you save an instant message conversation to Outlook by going to the File menu and selecting Save IM in Outlook. It will be in the Conversation History folder.
Can I access Microsoft Lync from a mobile device?
Yes. The app is available in the device’s app store.
Can external users participate in online meeting?
For a scheduled meeting, follow the instructions in How To: Create an online meeting request through Outlook or through Lync, and once the meeting invitation is open in Outlook, add any external email addresses.
For an unscheduled meeting, follow the instructions in How To: Start an unscheduled online meeting or conference call by using Meet Now within Lync.