To ensure secure access to the VPN, you must authenticate your identity through a separate method called 2-factor authentication (2FA).
Enroll in the security authentication tool, DUO which will send you a notification you will need to approve before you can access the VPN.
Search the Play Store for “GlobalProtect” to install the client app from Palo Alto Networks.
NOTE: Click all images to enlarge.
Once installed, open the app and enter the settings:
- Portal – vpn.northeastern.edu
- Username – Students use your myNortheastern username and password.
- Username – Faculty, staff and sponsored account holders use your NUnet username
- NOTE: If your NUnet username and password is not the same as those you use to access myNortheastern, you can sync your username and password by going to myNortheastern, clicking on Account Settings and following the directions for changing your password. Once you have done this, your NUnet and myNortheastern usernames and passwords will be the same.
- Password – Your NUnet password.
After you select connect, you will receive a notification on your registered mobile device. Once you approve the notification, the login process will complete.
NOTE: If you click the “Remember me” box, the client will remember ONLY the portal and your username – you will still need to enter your password every time you launch the GlobalProtect app to start a new VPN session.
When the security screen appears, check the “I trust this application” box and hit “OK.” This security screen will appear every time you connect to the VPN.
At this point your connection will be live.
You will be brought to the Welcome screen. This will also appear every time you connect to the VPN.
If you are unable to connect and have not received a notification, confirm your device or telephone numbers are properly registered by returning to the original registration page.
Click the Connection tab on this screen to see your connection information – this screen also allows you to disconnect.
You will notice that in the status bar at the top, you have the GlobalProtect globe and a key in the upper left. If you clear your status bar, the globe will disappear, but the key will remain.
To disconnect, or simply to see the status of your connection, pull down your status bar and touch the GlobalProtect globe.
On the connection screen that comes up, you can click the Disconnect button.
You can also go back into the app itself and click Disconnect at the bottom of the main connection screen.
To start a new VPN session, simply launch the GlobalProtect app to sign in as above.