To ensure secure access to the VPN, you must authenticate your identity through a separate method called 2-factor authentication.
Enroll in the security authentication tool, DUO, which will send you a notification you will need to approve before you can access the VPN.
Search the App Store for “GlobalProtect” to install the client app from Palo Alto Networks.
NOTE: Click all images to enlarge.
Once installed, open the app. The first time you open the app a pop-up message will appear. Click OK.
Enter the settings:
- Portal – vpn.northeastern.edu
- Username – Students use your myNortheastern username and password.
- Username – Faculty, staff and sponsored account holders, use your NUnet username.
- NOTE: If your NUnet username and password is not the same as those you use to access myNortheastern, you can sync your username and password by going to myNortheastern, clicking on Account Settings and following the directions for changing your password. Once you have done this, your usernames and passwords will be the same.
- Password – Your NUnet password
After you select connect, you will receive a notification on your registered mobile device. Once you approve the notification, the login process will complete.
Then click Connect.
NOTE: The client will ONLY remember the portal and your username – you will still need to enter your password every time you connect.
You will be brought to the Welcome screen. You will notice that in the status bar at the top, near the time, there will be a VPN icon. You are now connected.
If you are unable to connect and have not received a notification, confirm your device or telephone numbers are properly registered by returning to the original registration page.
Click the Connection tab from within the Home screen to see your connection information. This tab is where you can both connect and disconnect from the VPN.
To disconnect – return to the Connection tab within the Home screen. Simply click the Disconnect button at the bottom screen.
For all future VPN sessions in order to reconnect to the VPN, return to the Connection tab within the Home screen. It will display the Portal (vpn.northeastern.edu). Click on the Portal text, which will bring you to the Settings page. Click Connect to retrieve your configuration settings. Your previously entered username will autofill and you will need to enter your myNortheastern password, then click OK to connect. To verify your connection check the Connection tab or look for the VPN icon in your status bar.