- To install the Palo Alto Networks GlobalProtect VPN client on an unmanaged Windows computer (Northeastern-owned or personal), you will need to have local admin access.
- If you do not currently have this access on a Northeastern-owned computer, you can submit a Local Admin Request through the ServiceNow portal (sign-in may be required).
- If you do not currently have this access on a personal computer, work with the owner/admin of the computer.
- Click images to enlarge.
Go to https://vpn.northeastern.edu.
- NOTE: If you type in the URL, you must include the https://.
On the first page, enter your NUnet username and password. Your NUnet username is the one you enter when you log on to a network computer. You can sync your NUnet and myNortheastern usernames and passwords by going to myNortheastern, clicking on Account Settings and following the directions for changing your password. Once you have done that your username and password will be the same.
After logging in, the download options will appear.
Select the appropriate download – 32-bit or 64-bit – for your version of Windows.
- Most versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8.x are 64-bit and need the corresponding VPN download.
- Some versions of Windows 7 may be 32-bit and need that VPN download.
- ITS recommends that if you are unsure whether you must download the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version of the GlobalProtect agent, check by following these instructions: How To: Determine if your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit.
- If you are on a 32-bit version of Windows and try to install the 64-bit VPN, you will receive an error. Go back to the download page to download and install the 32-bit GlobalProtect agent.
If you are using Internet Explorer, you will be prompted to run or save the client – select Run. (click to enlarge)
If you are using Firefox or Chrome, you will be prompted to save the file – do so, and then launch the downloaded file and click Run.
Walk through the setup wizard by selecting Next on each new screen, changing no options.
When the installation is complete, select Close.
You will now need to set up the VPN client, and the VPN setup window will be visible. Follow the setup instructions.
To finish, close the browser window where you downloaded the file.