Faculty, staff and Sponsored Account holders may request the creation, use and administration of customized email discussion/e-newsletter lists that can be used to distribute email to a group of people. Known as mailing or distribution lists, these are provided using the LISTSERV software.
Administrators maintain their own lists using web-based and email based tools. The service includes built-in archiving, automatic bounce processing, content filtering, digest delivery, spam filters and personalized preferences.
- Web-based list administration for nearly all tasks, including list configuration, moderation (post approvals), management of user accounts
- Web-based subscribing and unsubscribing, and user configuration management. Users can temporarily disable their accounts, select digest modes, hide their email addresses from other members, etc.
- Per-list privacy features, such as closed-subscriptions, private archives, private membership rosters, and sender-based posting rules
- Configurable (per-list and per-user) delivery mode
- Regular (immediate) delivery
- MIME digest
- Plain (RFC 1153) digests
- Integrated bounce detection within an extensible framework. Automatic disposition of bouncing addresses (disable, unsubscribe)
- Integrated spam filters
- Built-in web-based archiving
- Integrated auto-replies
- Majordomo-style email based commands
- Multiple list owners and moderators are possible
To request a mailing list, you must submit a LISTSERV Request in ServiceNow. To Do this, log into the myNortheastern Portal, click on “Services and Links,” and find the “IT Help & Services (Service Now)” link. Once you’re in the ServiceNow Portal, search for “LISTSERV Request” and fill out the form.